This fun recipe can be served as brunch or dessert! It’s fast and simple to assemble and cook, a perfect way to use up that bag of apples – and impress the family or guests. Serve in the summer with ice cream for a backyard BBQ treat, or in the fall during apple picking season. It fast enough that you can put it in on the grill when pull your main dish off and it will be warm and ready when it’s time for dessert. Having an adult party, add some of your favorite Irish Whiskey for a little kick.
The “Hasselback” technique imparts amazing flavor and tenderness and dates back to the 1940s. At the Hasselbacken restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden, a recipe for potatoes cut and cooked accordion style became wildly popular. Called hasselbackspotatis, the same method creates an out-of-this world baked apple crisp.
Skillet Hasselback Apple CrispCourse: Dessert, Recipes, BrunchDifficulty: Easy
3-4 Apples, Honeycrisp, Cosmic, or Pink Lady
5 Tbsp Brown Sugar
5 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Package Quaker Instant Oatmeal (Any Flavor) or Rolled Oats
Optional: Vanilla Ice Cream
Cast-Iron Skillet or Small Ceramic Baking Dish
- Set your Big Green Egg to 400deg with the convEGGtor (Plate Setter).
- Peel, core and halve the apples removing any soft-spots/bruises.
- With a sharp, thin knife cut most but not all the way through the apples starting at the outer edges at 1/8in intervals (about the thickness of a slice of American Cheese) to get the accordion effect.
- Place the apples flat-side down in the skillet, with the “accordion” of the apple facing up.
- Melt and combine 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 Tbsp butter, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Brush over the apples, getting in-between the slices.
- Cover the skillet or baking dish with aluminum foil and place directly on the grill (cook indirect if on a gas grill). Bake for 30 minutes and remove.
- Combine the remaining sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon, 2 Tbsp of Oats (off the top of the packet or rolled) and the salt in a small bowl. Then top each apple with the mixture, pushing gently between the layers.
- Place the skillet/baking dish back on the grill and cook for 15 minutes or until oats are browning on the top.
- Cool for five to seven minutes, top with ice cream and enjoy!