On a beautiful spring weekend, we wanted a light appetizer for a sunny day. We decided on grilled shrimp on guacamole and English cucumber. The combination is the perfect little bite (or two) and paired well with a crisp Chardonnay, a Sauvingon Blanc would be a good pairing as well. We enjoyed a 2016 JM Cellars Chardonnay which wasn’t too oaky and brought out the flavors.
This recipe is quick and can be made easily to serve a crowd. We did a couple of test runs to find what worked best for us. We love the new line of Kosmo’s Q Clean Eating rubs. For this recipe, we settled on the “Freakin’ Fiesta” rub for a little kick. Leaving the guacamole slightly chunkier helped it hold together for those of use who like to make these two-bites.
1 lb of Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1-2 English Cucumbers, washed but not peeled
1 Avocado (or chunky Guacamole to your preference)
1 Bottle, Kosmo’s Q “Freakin’ Fiesta” Rub
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce (to taste)
- Wash and dry the shrimp and then place in a bowl with about 1 Tbsp olive oil to coat.
- Pour in Freakin’ Fiesta rub to coat the shrimp, about 4 Tbsp to start. Mix until the shrimp are well coated.
- Place the shrimp on the grill over direct heat, watching carefully as they’ll only take a few minutes to grill on each side.
- Prepare the English Cucumbers by slicing at an angle into thin slices, just wide enough to hold the guacamole and shrimp.
- Spoon a dollop of guacamole onto each cucumber slice and top with grilled shrimp.
- Finish off with a little fresh squeezed lime juice.
Wow! These look great and the crisp, cold cucumber paired with the tang of the guacamole and slight heat of the shrimp were an amazing combo. This is a must for our spring and summer entertaining.