Get ready to take your hot dog experience to a whole new level with this simple, colorful and tantalizing recipe for a Smoky Delight Hot Dog we call “Michigan Style”. Bursting with flavors, this delicious creation combines the irresistible smokiness of a grilled hot dog with the vibrant crunch of giardiniera, the freshness of lettuce, the tanginess of mustard, and the zing of onions. It’s a mouthwatering medley that will leave your taste buds begging for more. So fire up your grill and let’s dive into this delightful recipe!
Smoked Hot DogsCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4-6 Jumbo All-Beef Hot Dogs or Extra-long Sausages.
We recommend Hebrew National brand.
1 jar Chicago-style Giardiniera (we like Mezzetta brand)
1 Sweet Onion
Yellow Mustard (or your favorite)
1 head, Iceberg Lettuce
4-6 good quality Hot Dog buns
- Smoke & Gear
FOGO Premium Oak Hardwood or your favorite
Optional: Large Pot with Steaming bowl attachment
- Set up your smoker or grill for indirect cooking with the heat on one side. Here we’re using a Weber Kettle w/ lump charcoal and Vortex accessory and griddling up some Okie Burgers to go with.
- Place the hot dogs on the grate, opposite the heat
- Optional: Add some wood chips for additional smoky flavor
- Cover and let smoke, rolling and flipping the hot dogs every 5 minutes
- While the hot dogs/sausages are cooking, shred the iceberg lettuce.
- Drain the Giardiniera and set aside in a bowl
- Dice onion and set aside in a bowl
- Steam the hot dog buns by placing in a damp paper towel and microwave for ~25 seconds. Alternately a colander over steaming water works well.
- Pull the hot dogs at 160F and place on the steamed buns.
- Dress your dogs and enjoy! We like ours well done – if you need to hold for a while, “Hot Tub” your dogs in a warm water bath.