“Private Picky Eater” a.k.a. our 11 year old suggested we smother chimichurri sauce into a Stuffed Flank Steak instead of traditional cheese and peppers. Who are we to deny him this growth opportunity. Smoked with mesquite, the taste was out of this world! A budding Chef in the making!
1 2-3 lbs Flank Steak
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Optional: Traeger Mesquite or Signature Wood Pellets
- For the Chimichurri Sauce
1 cup Flat Leaf Italian Parsley
1 cup Fresh Cilantro
1 Onion, Red or Sweet
5 Cloves Garlic
3/4 cup extra virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cut red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon juice (or lime)
1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Prep your grill to 450 degrees F
(set to 500 degrees F if using a Traeger WiFIRE-enabled grill).
- Put all of the ingredients for the Chimichurri into a food processor and pulse until you have a thick sauce consistency.
Note: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
- With a very sharp knife, take your time and butterfly the Flank Steak. We’ve linked to a tutorial on our YouTube Channel under “Techniques and Tutorials”.
- Pound the Steak evenly flat in the middle if necessary
- Pour an even layer of Chimichurri Sauce in the middle of the Steak.
- Cut three to four even lengths of twine and place under the Steak. Keep two of the pieces close to the ends.
Tip: Use more twine if you wish to slice into individual pinwheel servings, placing approximately 1-1.5in apart.
- Roll the steak from one end, and tie the ends tight. Some of the sauce will seep out, this is ok.
- Place the Steak on the grates and smoke (using Super Smoke if available) approximately 15 minutes, then flip and cook another 10-15 minutes. Using the thermometer, poke the middle of the steak and pull at approximately 125 degrees F for well done ends and medium rare center.
- Let the Steak rest for 10 minutes, slice and enjoy!