I recently posted a video of these poppers to friends on the Grilling Community on Reddit and got a great response with multiple requests to post the recipe. We’re used to doing jalapeno poppers with cheese, but the sausage and cheddar in these approach a mini-meal level of quality and flavor. Definitely one to do for your next BBQ or party.
1 lb. green jalapenos, ripe and halved lengthwise
1 pkg. Hempler’s Thick Cut Bacon (or your favorite)
1 lb. Ground Italian sausage (Mild or Hot to your taste)
3/4 c. Shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
3 Tbsp. Smoked Paprika or your favorite BBQ rub.
- Pre-heat Grill to 425 deg F.
- Wearing gloves, cut the Jalapenos lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and ribbing
- In a medium skillet, brown the sausage over med-high heat and break up the sausage into chunks large enough to fit into the jalapeno. These should be chunky or they will ooze out during grilling.
- Drain sausage, turn heat to low and add cubed cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Allow to soften and stir to mix.
- Fill each Jalapeno boat with the mixture, slightly above top of each boat.
- Cut bacon in half cross-wise and wrap each boat.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika or your favorite rub to taste. The paprika gives the bacon a great color as it cooks.
- Place Jalapeno boats on the upper rack and allow to cook at least 20 minutes before you look. Temp to 160 degrees F in the middle and bacon is done to your liking.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest 10 minutes. Enjoy!