On a sizzling summer day, a quick meal you can throw on the grill and serve with a salad is essential. One of our favorites is chicken kebobs done simple – just chunks of chicken with no-frills, thrown on the grill. You can mix it up with veggies, but we prefer to keep it simple and do the veggies on the side.
For our kebobs, we keep the chunks quite large, which helps to keep them from drying out. We like to marinate them overnight with our own spice blend, but they’ll be tasty even if you can only marinate an hour or so. Pair with corn on the cob or Beecher’s Mac and Cheese recipe for the perfect summer meal.
3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Ancho Rub (Recipe Below)
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- For the Rub
4 Tbsp Ancho Chile Powder
4 Tbsp Granulated Garlic
4 Tbsp Kosher Salt (we like Diamond Kosher)
1 Tbsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Onion Powder
- Chunk your chicken breast – we prefer using large chunks in this recipe, approximately 1.5 inch squares
- Combine your favorite rub or spice blend, vegetable oil and lime juice in a large Ziploc bag or bowl with a lid. We made an ancho chili based rub.
- Put chicken chunks into the Ziploc or bowl, ensure chicken is fully coated. Put into the refrigerator to marinate for one hour or more.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for about an hour.
- Prepare your Big Green Egg or grill to cook direct over hot coals.
- When your grill is at temp, put the chicken skewers on for approximately 15 minutes, turning regularly to cook on all sides.
- Use a Thermapen or similar and pull the chicken when it reaches 165deg in the middle chunks. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.